SOCIAL AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
The department is mandated to improve the socio economic wellbeing of individuals, group and communities through capacity building and empowerment to enhance their standard of living. The social welfare exists to enhance social functional, integration of the community and provision of safety nets to the marginalized members of the community in a given situation. The essence of this is to ensure a balanced quality of life among community members.
SOCIAL WELFARE SECTION
The section has four units namely:
1. Home based care services
2. Specialized services
3. Child protection services
4. Destitute Services
The unit provides counseling and psychosocial support to clients and their families. Social workers attends clients referred to them for psychosomatic problems that they have and this include and are not limited to counseling rape victims, people with suicidal tendencies, domestic violence and abused/neglect/exploited children.
CHILD PROTECTION SERVICES
The role of this division is to provide advocacy for Children’s rights, child protection and Orphan care. The orphan care programme seeks to mitigate the impact of HIV and other social illness that affect children. The main objective of the programme is to provide care and support to OVC’s.
The functions of child protection unit include:
• Implementing Acts/policies on the protection of children.
• Collaboration with civil society organizations that are responsible for care and protection of children.
• Provision of psychosocial support.
• Dissemination of information on child protection and programmes for OVC’s.
• Partnership building on issues of child protection, participation and development.
• Coordination and monitoring services delivered to OVC’s.
The programme deals with people who are socio-economically disadvantaged and has divided them into permanent and temporary destitute.
ASSISTANCE OFFERED TO DESTITUTES
• Food ration
• Cash component
• Health and medical care
• Fee exemptions
• Transport fees
• Repatriation expenses
• Funeral expenses
COMMUNITY HOME BASED CARE
CHBC beneficiaries are assisted with food baskets and psychosocial support.
The unit is responsible for the coordination and monitoring of the programme so that all beneficiaries are supported timeously under the programme.
There are two radp settlements in Tonota sub district being Gojwane and Mabesekwa. Activities carried out in RADP program in relation to affirmative action plan are done at this department.
DESTITUTE AND RADP HOUSES
For each financial year, the government builds houses across the sub district through this initiative to the less privilege and by doing this, people’s lives has changed because they now have accommodation.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DIVISION
This is a section within social and community development which deals with encouraging self-help in the community. It works closely with the village development committees, remote area development program, voluntary organisations, non-governmental organisations as well as civil societies and many more others in the village in the matters related to development.
It is charged with the following:
• Identification and local needs of the community
• Help villages to prioritize their needs, formulate proposals for the solution of the community.
• To plan and co-ordinate, supervise and direct all social and community development activities of the department
There are 5 projects are implemented under Rehabilitation program and all are operational.
Beneficiaries for Sewing projects supply the following primary schools with uniform: Rauwe, Tholodi, Semotswane, Madisakwana, Serule, Bonwatlou, Gojwane, Topisi and Moreomabele
VILLAGE DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEES
- Established 22 village Development Committees and 1 umbrella VDC, all are trained and functional.
- Cascaded New VDC Regulations to all the villages in the Sub District.
- Introduced Annual Village Development Conference in the District and three(3) VDC’S in the Sub District participated and out of 122 VDC’S in the entire District, 1 VDC in Tonota Sub District scooped position 3.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
• Established 22 village Development Committees and 1 umbrella VDC, all are trained and functional.
• Cascaded New VDC Regulations to all the villages in the Sub District.
• Introduced Annual Village Development Conference in the District and three(3) VDC’S in the Sub District participated and out of 122 VDC’S in the entire District, 1 VDC in Tonota Sub District scooped position 3.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
• Out of 7 projects implemented under Community Development, 5 are operational and 2 are not operational.
• 5 Day care Centers, 1 Bakery project and 1 Craft Center
HOME ECONOMICS DIVISION
To improve the socio economic status of the community by responding to their needs in a way that enables them to function in the community to which they belong through improved quality of life. It also imparts skills to individuals to start up income generating programmes. Supervise rehabilitation projects Coordinate and supervise implementation of early childhood care and education.
The department under poverty eradication has so far assisted beneficiaries as follows
• Packaged 296 poverty eradication projects
• The Sub District has 37 excelling projects
• Secured market for povertry eradication bakery clients in schools
• 12/16 day care centres which are operating